Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A Plant-Strong Memorial Day

Keith and I are going to celebrate Memorial Day with Rip Esselstyn and Gene Baur!

No, we don't know either of them personally. I'm Facebook friends with Rip, and he issued an open invitation for a potluck at his house in Austin. Gene Baur will be in town as part of his cross-country trip celebrating the 25th anniversary of Farm Sanctuary.

For those who don't know, Rip Esselstyn is an Austin firefighter who wrote "The Engine 2 Diet," a book that advocates a "plant-strong" diet, which means a diet consisting of whole, plant-based foods. That may sound familiar, as that's what the film "Forks Over Knives" advocates.

Rip's father, former heart surgeon Caldwell Esselstyn, was one of the two primary experts "Forks Over Knives" focused on. And Rip was in the film, too. He's the buff firefighter who can climb up a firepole without using his legs. The next time someone skeptically asks me where vegans get their protein, I'll tell them to look him up.

In addition to the potluck, there will also be a barbecue cook-off. I've never made barbecue, so I won't be entering that, but I'll have to decide what to make for the potluck. I'm thinking macaroni and cheese.

I'll try to take lots of photos of the food and festivities for those of you not able to attend. Whatever your Memorial Day plans are, please leave animals--at least the dead kind; your dogs and cats lounging around the house are fine--out of them.

(Photo of Rip Esselstyn courtesy of ForksOverKnives.com.)
(Photo of Gene Baur courtesy of
SuperVegan.com.)



No comments: