Sunday, August 9, 2009

Spread Your Message With Your Threads

I've always had a plain style of dress: a pair of jeans or shorts and a solid-color shirt. But since discovering animal rights, I've gotten wild and crazy -- well, for me anyway -- and love to wear T-shirts (or camis) that advertise a vegan message.

Yesterday at Veggie Fest 2009 I discovered a booth that sold veg*an-themed shirts and other goodies, and I was thrilled to discover that the entrepreneurs behind YB Veggie live in my town.

An apron that announced that "No animals were harmed during the making of this meal" was among Celina and Jake Chase's wares, as was a T-shirt that proclaimed "Veal is no meal." I bought a little white Teddy bear wearing a shirt reading "A vegetarian loves me." It's for my 4-year-old niece.
"Because we live in a meat-centric society, a lot of vegetarians are timid about talking about their lifestyle," [Celina Chase] said. "Wearing a T-shirt is a way to initiate a conversation without being overbearing."
Other online activist-apparel sites
  • Herbivore Clothing Company -- With a brick-and-mortar store in Portland, OR, and an online presence, it's easy to find hip gear.

  • In Defense of Animals -- Every time my friend wears his "Go vegan and no body gets hurt" T-shirt he gets asked where he got it. Now you know!
  • Nonviolence United -- Because this organization doesn't have a link to the shirt from its Web site, I had a difficult time trying to find what is now one of my favorite veganism shirts (right). Fortunately, I found it at VeganShirt.com.
  • Motive Company -- This store has edgy apparel, including some for "straight-edgers," as well as a cloth shopping back to advertise that you're a "Vegan Shopper."
  • Mercy For Animals -- When I volunteered to help out at this group's booth at Veggie Fest 2008, by far the biggest seller was its "Not Cool" T-shirt, which features a chick inside the stomach of the wearer. Looking up at the wearer, he announces that eating him was "not cool."
What are your favorite stores for activist gear? Share them with me in the Comments section.

(Photo of Celina, Jake and Emma Chase courtesy of The Herald News.)
(Photo of "Vegan" shirt courtesy of Nonviolence United.)



2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
peace said...

I like these shirts a lot, but I've never been a fan of "Go vegan and no body gets hurt." It can easily be read as a threat, and I don't think that's the image we should be projecting.